Veterans/Military News-Discussion > Debates

41st PARLIAMENT, 1st SESSION Thursday, September 22, 2011 (HOMELESS VETS)

(1/1)

Canadian_Vet:

Mr. Peter Stoffer (Sackville—Eastern Shore, NDP):
    Mr. Speaker, I would like to remind the Prime Minister that Canadians did not give the Conservative government a mandate to put our veterans on the street, forcing them to use food banks and making them homeless.
    Every week we hear about more and more of Canada's heroes being homeless and using food banks. In Alberta, Jonathan Denis, the housing minister, now says that Alberta will pick up the slack where the federal government has failed.
    My question is quite simple. Why is the federal government abdicating its responsibility to veterans in our country, having the provinces pick up that responsibility?

Hon. Steven Blaney (Minister of Veterans Affairs, CPC): 
     Mr. Speaker, not only are we working with our partners, but we are taking decisive action to reduce homelessness in our country and among veterans. That is why we have established outreach initiatives in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver to provide assistance to homeless veterans, and also in all our district offices.
     I was in Toronto this summer and I could see the action of the Good Shepherd Ministries on the ground in downtown Toronto, and of our officials working hand in hand in the refuge with those people.
    We are helping our veterans to transition to civilian life in a seamless manner and we will keep up that work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version