Author Topic: Oxycontin was claimed to last 12 hours, turns out it rarely did  (Read 1120 times)

ProudCanadian

• View Profile
I was put on oxycontin in the fall of 1999, it came in 10mg 20mg 40mg 80mg 160mg, they pulled the 160mg voluntarily. I had reached the point where I was taking over 100 percocet a week, but while each pill contains 5 mg oxycodone it also contains 325mg acetaminophen and will destroy your liver, I was eventually taking 60 mg of oxycontin 3 times a day yet marketed as a 12 hour 2 times a day medication and that's how the morphine equivalent is calculated, but it turned out that for many like myself it had to be taken every 8 hours, many people it was 10 or even 11 hours but that meant that users would start going into withdrawal before their next dose, leading to abuse. For 4 years I was fine, then over 4 more as a binge snorter, all the treatment programs were abstinence based, then I got into treatment and my dose was actually increase to 80mg 3 times a day, finally I demanded methadone for pain and that was a nightmare as well, but eventually led to my becoming a medical marijuana user in July 2009, I am non-military but suffer from PTSD, I have also been a Mental Health and Addictions Rights Advocate for over a dozen years and will be posting a bio as an advocate soon.
The best cure for worry, depression, melancholy, brooding, is to go deliberately forth and try to lift with one's sympathy the gloom of someone else.
Arnold Bennett