Author Topic: New honorary colonel welcomed to 8 Wing Trenton  (Read 1537 times)

PTE_Molgat

• Administrator
    • View Profile
New honorary colonel welcomed to 8 Wing Trenton
« on: April 06, 2012, 01:31:50 PM »
New honorary colonel welcomed to 8 Wing Trenton

http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/8w-8e/nr-sp/index-eng.asp?id=12774

Apr. 5, 2012
By Lt Christopher Daniel

Incoming HCol John Bonn (left), LCol Joel Roy (centre), commanding officer of 424 Sqn, and outgoing HCol Ed Robertson sign the change of appointment documents. Credit: Ross Lees.

Members of 8 Wing Trenton, Ont., welcomed Honorary Colonel (HCol) John Bonn, M.D., LL.B., 424 Transport and Rescue Squadron’s new honorary colonel, during a change of appointment ceremony March 26 at the wing.

HCol Bonn succeeds HCol Ed Robertson, who has been 424 Squadron’s honorary colonel since February 2009.

“We are thankful to Honorary Colonel Robertson for his three years of dedicated service,” said Lieutenant-Colonel Joel Roy, commanding officer of 424 Squadron, which is nicknamed “Tiger Squadron” because of the tiger on its unit badge.

“He will always be a part of 424 Squadron – once a Tiger, always a Tiger.”

HCol Robertson said he was very proud of the time he spent as honorary colonel.

“I was able to spend lots of great time with the men and women of the squadron, and entertain their families at Christmas parties and family day celebrations,” said he said. “I will always remember my time as honorary colonel, and I look forward to a continued association with 424 Squadron and the Canadian Forces.”

LCol Roy said that “the Tiger family is honoured to have Honorary Colonel Bonn as the new honorary colonel.”

“8 Wing has been an integral part of my life,” said HCol Bonn. “I’m honoured to accept this appointment and I know that it will be a rewarding and memorable experience.”

About HCol Bonn

HCol Bonn, who was an air cadet in his youth, is a well-respected member of the local community. He has been a practicing physician for more than 40 years, serving his patients as a family physician, an anaesthesiologist and an emergency doctor. During this time, he also provided executive leadership in hospitals as chief of anaesthesia at the Trenton Memorial Hospital (TMH) and the Belleville General Hospital (BGH), and served as chief of emergency medicine at TMH and chief of staff of BGH.

In 1990, HCol Bonn obtained a law degree and for more than 20 years he has provided health law services to clients and law firms seeking assistance in professional regulatory matters and medical malpractice litigation. He has also served as a director of the Ontario Trial Lawyers Association.

He is an advisor for the Canadian Collaborative for Hospital Excellence. He served as a coroner for the Province of Ontario from 1992 to 1997 and has served on the councils of the Ontario Medical Association and the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario.

He also continues to practice as an emergency physician, and is involved in teaching medical school students and residents as an adjunct assistant professor in the Department of Family Medicine at Queen's University in Kingston, Ont.

Royall candadian Air Force (www.forces.gc.ca)