Author Topic: HMCS Windsor lands safely in Halifax Harbour  (Read 1536 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


  • Administrator
  • Sr. Member
  • **********
  • Posts: 321
    • View Profile
HMCS Windsor lands safely in Halifax Harbour
« on: April 12, 2012, 05:58:17 PM »
HMCS Windsor lands safely in Halifax Harbour

April 11, 2012 - 10:40am By IAN FAIRCLOUGH Staff Reporter


The wail of a siren at the Halifax naval dockyard heralded the return of HMCS Windsor to the water Wednesday morning.

At 8:45 a.m., a 135-metre-long wooden platform powered by 46 motors began slowly lowering the 2,400-tonne submarine into Halifax Harbour after two years out of the water.

The bubbling of air from the ballast tanks announced the sub’s return to its watery home at a rate of 45 centimetres a minute.

Just after the platform entered the water, the lift was stopped so workers could secure any pieces of the deck that may have loosened over the past two years.

That’s normal because the platform has been out of the water for so long, said Roger Barakett, production manager for the dockyard’s fleet maintenance facility.

“The deck is made out of wood, sometimes you get floaters,” he said of pieces of wood that could damage the sub if they were suddenly to let go and be propelled upward because of their natural buoyancy.

“It’s nothing to do with a defect or a delay in the evolution, it’s just part of the normal process.”

The wooden platform was lowered further until the Windsor’s hull was in the water to a depth of six metres. Crew members on board then checked to make sure there were no leaks before the platform was lowered another metre. At that point, the sub floated off the wood-topped steel cradle it has been nestled in during an extensive refit.

About a dozen submariners were visible on top of the vessel before it was lowered. Members of the refit crew and other sailors watched the process from the jetty.

Once the sub was floating on its own in 18 metres of water, divers went underneath to look at the propeller shaft to make sure it was tight in its seal.

Other checks were made for another hour before tugs guided the Windsor out of the lift area to a nearby jetty, where it will remain for more testing until three to five months of sea trials start later this month.

HMCS Windsor is one of four British submarines the Canadian government bought in 1998 for an initial purchase price of $750 million. The fleet has seen little time in active service since then.

The Windsor’s refit, initially to be completed by 2009, has taken almost five years. The submarine has operated at sea for 332 days since arriving in Nova Scotia in October 2001.