Author Topic: Veterans Affairs Minister Steven Blaney Announces Privacy Action Plan 2.0  (Read 1379 times)

CVA_Posting

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Canadian Veterans Advocacy
Veterans Affairs Canada
News Release
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE   
May 8, 2012

Veterans Affairs Minister Steven Blaney Announces Privacy Action Plan 2.0

Ottawa - Today in the House of Commons, the Honourable Steven Blaney, Minister of Veterans Affairs, tabled Privacy Action Plan 2.0. This new action plan outlines the ongoing work to build and maintain a strong culture of privacy at Veterans Affairs Canada.

“As Minister of Veterans Affairs, I take very seriously the Department’s responsibility to protect the privacy and rights of all Veterans,” said Minister Blaney. “Though we have made considerable progress, I remain committed to ensuring our processes meet the highest standards, which is why I requested the development of a new action plan to take us to the next level.”

The first Privacy Action Plan was implemented in the fall of 2010 to respond to recommendations from the Privacy Commissioner. That plan outlined 10 action items to strengthen controls and monitoring to ensure that the private information in the Department’s care was being appropriately treated. The action items in the original plan have all been completed.

Measures in Privacy Action Plan 2.0 include the following:

?   Providing targeted training on privacy principles;
?   Streamlining consent forms;
?   Ensuring new initiatives are compliant with privacy
requirements; and
?   Monitoring and evaluating transactions that involve private
information.

“This next phase of the Privacy Action Plan builds on our accomplishments to date, and provides Veterans with the assurance that our Government is ensuring their private information remains protected,” said Minister Blaney.

The Privacy Action Plan 2.0 can be found at veterans.gc.ca.

- 30 -

Media inquiries:

Janice Summerby
Media Relations Advisor
Veterans Affairs Canada
613-992-7468   

Codie Taylor
Director of Communications
Office of the Minister of Veterans Affairs
613-996-4649