Author Topic: Guillain-Barre Syndrome ICD -9 357,0 - May be Pensioned by VAC  (Read 3194 times)

CVA_Posting

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Canadian Veterans Advocacy
Looking for any individuals who had their claims denied and especially for those who are pensioned. You can help many other Vets...

This is further to your request made under the Access to Information Act for information concerning Guillain-Barre Syndrome ICD -9 357,0."
The Statistics Directorate of Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) reports that as of April 25,20t2, there are 11 clients with a VAC Disability benefit for
Guillain-Barre Syndrome with an average assessment of 17%. Please note that average assessment is derived with clients that have had their
condition assessed as a single condition rather than grouped together with other conditions. Further details have not been provided given the small
number of clients involved, as a geographical breakdown could potentially identify an individual with this condition.

Please be advised that you are entitled to bring a complaint to the Information Commissioner regarding the processing of your request within
60 days of the receipt of this notice. In the event you decide to avail yourself of this right, your notice of complaint should be addressed to:

The Information Commissioner of Canada
Place de Ville, Tower B
112 Kent Street, 7n Floor
Ottawa, ON KlA lH3

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at the address noted above.
Yours truly,

Colette Taweel-Upton
Deputy Coordinator

Sylvain Chartrand CD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Fellow veterans I am looking for some help from you! Guillain-Barre Syndrome
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 09:39:56 AM »
Fellow veterans I am looking for some help from you!

My name is Tom Beaver and I joined the Canadian Forces in 1980 went to Petwawa  to the RCR Battle School  and the first Y-Tap course.
From there went to London to 1 RCR Charles Coy then off to Mountain Warfare school in Quebec and then a pre-Para course.
During the winter months of 1983 we did our annual exercise in Norway. I think we came back to London in December   and around Dec 23 I went to the MIR to see a doctor but they sent me back home saying I had a bad cold. The next day I was in the hospital it was Dec 23 where I was diagnosed with a virus called Guillain Barre  Syndrome

Long story short I was totally paralyzed for 8 months in Western hospital ICU.  After this I had to learn how to walk, talk and eat all over again.  Then I was shipped to NDMC for three months and then to Oromocto,  NB.  For a total of a year and a bit I was out of action.  Basically, this kind of virus eats the coating protecting your nerves and you have to wait for the coating them to grow back check it out at

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/guillain-barre-syndrome/DS00413

After going back to the battalion I was told I could not stay in any combat trade because of the virus. With this bad news I had to leave the RCR and remuster.  Long story short I finished out my service as an army cook in the navy.

I retired in 1988 under the Forces Reduction Plan (FRP) then I received a letter saying my release was turned into a medical release.  Before leaving the military I was diagnosed with PTSD  and was being treated for this as my release paper said I must continue treatment after release. But have been refused treatment so far.
Today I am pensioned for my  back , right ankle, hearing in both ears. I was refused any pension for my  bout of Guillain Barre Syndrome which has caused many medical problems.  After I appealed the second time I was told that there was no one receiving a pension for GBS.  I then sent a letter to the freedom of information act asking if anyone was receiving a military pension for Syndrome  http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/guillain-barre-syndrome/DS00413 Guillain Barre Syndrome and to my surprise there are 11 people in Canada receiving a pension for GBS.  How Guillian Barre Syndrome affects everyone the same so why do 11 people get pensioned for this and others don’t?

This is where you can help me.  If you are receiving a pension for Guillain Barre Syndrome or know of anyone who is, please contact me at tom.beave@gmail.com or beave@nbnet.nb.ca

Thank you.
Tom Beaver